Saturday, October 13, 2012

Summer Book Reviews

This summer I was the biggest bookworm.  Always a lover of a good book, this summer I hit the jackpot with several engrossing fictional stories and memoirs.  If you are getting ready for a big trip (Ash!) or just looking for something to curl up with this Fall, I highly recommend the following...

The Paris Wife –  recommended by my sister in law, this is a fictional account of the lives and marriage of Hadley and Ernest Hemingway during the Jazz Age of Paris.  You don’t have to know much about Ernest Hemingway’s stories or the jazz age of Paris to enjoy this vivid story and the highs and lows of their tumultuous marriage. 

image

Let's Pretend this Never Happened – written by the adorably, charming and quirky Texas blogger, Jenny Lawson this memoir had me laughing out loud every night.  Jenny is the best combination of David Sedaris and Chelsea Handler.  She is also endearingly vulnerable and self deprecating as she discusses her struggles with debilitating anxiety.  Jenny’s childhood  West Texas upbringing is unique, and her stories of her crazy dad and his latest taxidermy ambition will have you giggling like a school girl.  I can’t wait to see what she does next.  If the length of the book intimidates you (it’s a long one) do yourself a favor and check out her quirky blog…

image

Gone Girl – a great, twisted thriller that will keep you turning the pages long after your sig other has fallen asleep (and leave you wanting to sleep with the lights on).   This thriller is unexpected and an overall entertaining read.  I liked it so much, I read the author’s other new novels which are equally dark and disturbing,  Dark Places and Sharp Objects…Just a warning, reading these gritty mysteries may lead to some nightmares and a desire to keep a night light close by.

SNAGHTML498087

I Feel Bad About my Neck (and Other Thoughts on Being a Woman) – after Nora Ephron passed away this summer, I had a strong desire for her light humorous writing and storytelling that she became so well known for. This memoir is her lovely perspective of getting older, aging and general thoughts on life as a woman.  She was a classic storyteller, and her voice is as charming as ever in this light memoir.

image

Please let me know if you've read anything recently that you love!  Looking to dive back into a great book this Fall!

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous6/10/2013

    Saved as a favorite, I like your site!

    Here is my web blog - how to do after hours trading ()

    ReplyDelete