Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Yum!

Houston summers are awful. I know it’s hot all of over the country right now, and we should be grateful that we have our big SUVs and A/C is pretty much a guarantee. However, that hasn’t kept me from wanting to strip down to a tank top / shorts and lay in a dark room every evening after work.

Last night, I thought Caprese Salad sounded refreshing, and it didn’t disappoint. Here’s the recipe I used.

Here are five reasons to love a caprese salad:

  1. It looks pretty. The colors are appealing, and I like things that are small and come stacked.
  2. A monkey could make it. Seriously, it’s so easy.
  3. It’s refreshing – the basil totally makes it. I love the smell, but some may find it odd – in fact, when I opened the packet, Lee asked me if I smelled cat urine?!
  4. It’s healthy. Use mozzarella from skim milk and don’t go nutzo with the olive oil and salt.
  5. It’s super cheap. You probably have olive oil in your pantry and large, heirloom tomatoes are in season right now. The mozzarella can be a little pricey, but compared to other cheeses, it’s reasonable.

image

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment