Houston summers are awful. I know it’s hot all of over the country right now, and we should be grateful that we have our big SUVs and A/C is pretty much a guarantee. However, that hasn’t kept me from wanting to strip down to a tank top / shorts and lay in a dark room every evening after work.
Last night, I thought Caprese Salad sounded refreshing, and it didn’t disappoint. Here’s the recipe I used.
Here are five reasons to love a caprese salad:
- It looks pretty. The colors are appealing, and I like things that are small and come stacked.
- A monkey could make it. Seriously, it’s so easy.
- It’s refreshing – the basil totally makes it. I love the smell, but some may find it odd – in fact, when I opened the packet, Lee asked me if I smelled cat urine?!
- It’s healthy. Use mozzarella from skim milk and don’t go nutzo with the olive oil and salt.
- It’s super cheap. You probably have olive oil in your pantry and large, heirloom tomatoes are in season right now. The mozzarella can be a little pricey, but compared to other cheeses, it’s reasonable.